Sunday, November 9, 2008

Backing up a failing hard drive RAID


Frustrating day to say the least ... trying to back up the images from my last photo shoots from the memory cards.

Drive not found ... 
USB hardware error ... 

My heart stops ... 

For a full 5 seconds ... 
Sinking feeling ...

Hold on ... wait a minute ...

My images are backed up on multiple RAID's ... each RAID has it's own single back up drive stored off site ... my last sync was last week ... so I'm good ... all the other images are still on the memory cards.

Tried the Firewire port from this particular RAID and that one seems to be working ... have access to the drives but need to back these up to another drive in case the electronics in this drive give up ... there's about 450 Gig of images on this one dual drive system ... hard drives are mirrored, but still ... it only takes one error to wipe it all out ...

Copying this drive to another one is going to take about 11 hours ... set back ... nothing much else to do ... the nightmare of data back up and keeping it all synced and up to date

I'm breathing again ...

*   *   *

The good news is that my print order will be shipped out tomorrow

Continued

No comments: