Thursday, March 26, 2009

Friends

I grew up in a forest in Belgium, remote from my school buddies ... no friends to play with ...

I grew even more up in a small house with 4 sisters ... no room for friends to come over and play ... no one inviting me to come over and play ... 

I was alone in my room engaged in Red Knight chivalry ...

I was alone in my room with my science books ...

I was alone in m room with my projects ...

I was alone in the world racing my bicycle ...

Music ... performing ... composing ... conducting ... an ivory tower comes to mind ...

I got married, got kids, got career busy, moved a couple of times, got different career busy, moved Transatlantic ... and I left the few friends I developed behind ...

Wife one left ... I raised the kids some more till they left ... love struck ... then wife two left ... 

What happened ... where was I ... what really is being alone ... the fear ... the solitude ...

*   *   *

Then one friend showed up because she was worried for me ...

A second friend reached out and listened  ...

A third friend showed me the other side of the mirror ...

A fourth friend drove me to the airport at 5:00am ...

A fifth friend  took me out for lunch ...

A sixth friend took me out for dinner ...

A seventh friend shared an opera ...

... wait ...

I have countless friends ...

Countless friends showed me unconditional love ... any time ... every time ...

I'm truly a blessed man ... I'm lucky ... for sure ...

... I savor every friend-moment how brief it may be ...

To friends ...

... all friends ...

Continued ... for sure ... 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is lovely habibi <3