Friday, February 27, 2009

My Red Barn ...

... in the Fremont hills ...

*   *   *

I discovered these hills during my first visit ever to Fremont on December 22, 2001 ... I'll never forget the day ...

I casually explored a one lane wooded canyon road ... I grew up in the forests in Belgium and can't resist exploring, looking for the view, the peace, the quiet ... the history of it all ...

The top of the hill rewarded me with this most magnificent view ... miles of it ... to never forget

*   *   *

On my way down the hill I made my next discovery ... insignificant at first ...

I was wrong ... this first glimpse is still on my mind ... the taste of the air ... the smell of the nearby eucalyptus forest ... the sound of a nearby spring ...

A red barn ...
A tin roof ...
Old ...
Rusty ...
Cracks ... missing boards ...
Inhabited ...
Full of character ...

... the history ...

*   *   *

In the months that followed I would be preoccupied moving from Los Angeles to Fremont ... new job ... new challenges ... new realm ... 

*   *   *


The red barn took on a life of its own ..  at night, when I could not fall asleep, I would nurture the barn to health ...

Fix the cracks ...
Replace the boards ...
New tin on the roof ...
Massive skylights ...
Windows ...
Doors ...

I would talk to the old red barn and ask permission to gently add some new comfort ... 

A wooden floor ...
Fireplace ...
Clawfoot tub ...
Staircase to the rafters ... 
Loft with bedstead ...
A pipe stove ...

In my sleep the red barn became my studio .. my workplace ... my home ... a place where I could curl up and dream on about yesteryears and forgotten lives ... 

*   *   *

The dreams were real and recurring  ...

I've worked many a night in my red barn ...

Escape ?

Past Life ?

Parallel Dimension ?

With time the red barn disappeared from my mind ... or so I thought ... 

I goofed up ...

The red barn is there ... it always was ... it always will be ...

Elusive ?
Yes ...

Unattainable ?

No ...

*   *   *

I've been dreaming about the red barn for the last 9 months again ... 

I finally figured it out its secret ... 


Continued ...


1 comment:

Ankha Desh said...

Red Knight...Red barn...you are an Aries after all ;-),
red is very important to us.
Can't wait to see what develops.