Monday, April 13, 2009

It was bound to happen ...

... I do love shooting in and around water and last Saturday it did happen ... I slipped in the Alameda Creek getting ready for a shoot ... and ended up taking my beloved D3 down under ... 

Although I got up fast, water had gotten into the camera through the zoom lens and the lens ring ... remarkedly, there was no water in the battery compartment nor the memory card compartment ...

As soon as I pulled the camera out of the water, it started shooting random images ... there was definitely water in some of the buttons ... 

Gave the camera and lens a quick dry with the back of my shirt ... the only thing that remained dry in the fall ... 

Camera came back on line after 24 hours of exposure to warm flowing air ... sensor needs some cleaning as that one got drops of water splattered all over it through the actuation of the mirror ... 

It could have been worse ...

Hopefully there is no further corrosion in the long run throwing things further off ...

The lens took the brunt of the fall and the zoom ring is very stiff ... this appears to be more mechanical damage in nature ... 

Lesson learned ... a couple ... lol ... through it all I did pick up I'm in good company when it comes to dropping or falling in water with gear ... luckily I didn't have my BlackBerry on me ;-)

*   *   *

The images in the blog post are environmental shots from my last weeks shoot at Salton Sea ... more about that one later ... two photographers, two make up artists, stylist ... quite a few models ... great company ... more friends ...

Continued ...

No comments: