Thursday, January 1, 2009

Surface Miner

is what Speedy Bob aka Metal Man calls himself.

Speedy Bob scavenges the streets around the Civic Center in San Francisco.  I met him at the BART station when I was waiting on a ride on New Years Eve ...

Bob, long curly unkempt brown hair and beard, dressed in jeans and a pullover that had seen better times goes on and explains me in a very animated way that he's sick and tired of being called a homeless, bum, dumpster diver, recycler ... he simply prefers "surface miner" ... I never heard the term before so I found it funny and wrote it down

Bob mines the surface of San Francisco ...

We're both looking at an empty pack of cigarettes lying in the gutter ... Bob says ... "let me show you, I'm sure there's still a cigarette in there ..." 

Bob stoops down, scoops the pack up and opens it ... a big smile appears on his face and he yells ... "See I told you" and he holds the pack my way ... I take a peek and count 12 cigarettes and 2 joints ...

Bob pulls the joints out, sniffs them and says ... "There's good weed in here ... I get $10 for the two of them" ... we start laughing ... my ride shows up ... 

Happy New Year Bob, keep mining that surface ...

No comments: